Monday, May 19, 2008

MOTHER'S DAY CONTEST: 1st Place Winning Entry by Johannah Brookwell

My mother had a strong faith in God. I imagine that was taught to her also as a child. And she passed that strong faith onto me - she taught me that God sees everything - He pays you back for every good deed you do 100 fold - maybe not right away, maybe not in the way you would like, but he will. He knows what He is doing, and He will never give you more than you can handle.

He will take you places you do not want to go, to teach you lessons you need to learn. And He will also handle those who seek to harm you. You do not need to concern yourself with these things. Do what's right, walk in the light - and God will take care of everything else.

Life brings all sorts of ups and downs - good things and bad. I know that "turning the other cheek" is not easy, but everytime I have done that in my life, I have been blessed. I have lived my life in such a way that there are no skeletons hiding in my closet - and when someone seeks to harm me by looking for them (this has happened) - they find nothing. Amazingly nothing. I do good deeds for others, without expecting anything in return, for they are not the ones whom I expect to receive my return from. My children have caused me to doubt a time or two, but always God has blessed the results when I leave it in His Hands. This mindset has allowed me to be free of fear and to live everyday to the fullest.

My mother is gone 17 years now, but there isn't a day that goes by that one of the things she has told me about God doesn't enter my mind. And one of the blessings is that my children also know these things and see that life reflected in mine. I am hopeful they too will "pass it on".

(Top Photo: Cross To Bear - Genuine Beach Stone Crucifix Necklace $45)

No comments: